If your doctor has requested that you have some test they will make a plan with you about what to do next. If you have not been given a plan please ask for one to help you manage your problem effectively.
We have a dedicated health advisor team who will contact you directly if the doctor has requested some further action following the results. The Health Advisors have been trained to give out results but are unable to give you clinical advice, which is why it is important for you to make sure you understand why the doctor has asked for test and you have been given a plan.
It is still advised that you make contact with the surgery to find out your results to ensure that nothing is missed.
Frequently asked questions regarding tests:
When will my results come back?
Patients are asked to telephone their preferred surgery for routine test results after 2pm or to download the NHS App to view their results online.
Most routine blood test will take 72hrs. The following Blood tests will take longer:
- Diabetes blood test (Hba1c) – 1 week
- Rheumatoid Arthritis blood test – 1 week
- Coeliac blood test (endomyssial antibody) – 2 weeks
- Vitamin D blood test – 3 weeks
Other tests will take:
|TEST||Time for Result|
|Chest xray||10 days|
|Ultrasound scan||10 days|
|Helicobacter breath test||1 week|
|Urine sample||1 week|
|Sputum sample||1 week|
|Stool sample||1 week|
|Skin scraping||Up to 3 months|
|Nail clippings||Up to 3 months|
|Vaginal swab test||Up to 2 week|
|Smear test||Up to 2 weeks|
|24 hour Blood Pressure monitor||3 days|
|Home Blood pressure||3 days|
How can I get my Test Results?
You can get your test results by:
- Download the NHS App to have access to your test results
- Calling the surgery after 2pm
- Submitting an Patient Triage to the surgery
Why have I been asked to have a repeat test?
If a doctor asks you to have a repeat test it is usually because:
- The result was borderline or equivacal – so the doctor wants another sample to monitor the situation or to re-check
- The result is abnormal – and the doctor is unable to interpret the result without further tests so has asked you to come in for more test.
Please do not worry if the doctor has asked you for a repeat test, if there is a serious problem then the Doctor will speak or request to see you directly.