Everything you need to know about cervical screening:
- *Cervical screening, or the “smear test”, is a routine health check that identifies potentially harmful cells and changes on the cervix.
- * Appointments take around 10 minutes
- * Cervical screening is not a test for cancer but catching any changes early can reduce your risk of developing cervical cancer.
- * Finding abnormal changes early means they can be monitored or treated so they do not get a chance to turn into cervical cancer.
- * Cervical cancer kills two women every day. Regular screenings can help reduce that number, which is why it’s so important you attend your screening when invited.
- * All women and people with a cervix aged 25 to 64 should be invited by letter.
- * You’ll get your results by letter, usually in about 2 weeks.
Our nurses are trained to do all they can to put you at ease during your appointment and are on hand to answer any questions or concerns you may have. However, whether you attend your screening or not, is ultimately your choice.
If you are due to have a cervical screening, you will receive an invite letter in the post. Please do not ignore it, book your cervical screening appointment with us today.
If you have missed your previous appointment or are unsure if you are due cervical screening, please contact us and we will be able to tell you if or when you are due.
You can book an appointment by calling us on any of the above contact numbers.