Booking your appointment:
Primarily, you will need to have had an invitation letter asking you to book your cervical screening with the Practice.
Screenings booked or performed without an invitation will not be processed by the Health Authority.
You can now book appointments for cervical screening via the NHS App. Simply select Appointments > GP Surgery Appointments > Book Appointments. Then Select Type (smear appointments) > Select Location (your preferred surgery site) and then filter your preference for the timescale of available appointments.
If you are registered for Online Services, you can also book a cervical screening via your login details. For information on how to register for this service please visit Online Services on our website.
Everything you need to know about cervical screening:
- *Cervical screening, or the “smear test”, is a routine health check that identifies potentially harmful cells and changes on the cervix.
- * Appointments take around 10 minutes
- * Cervical screening is not a test for cancer but catching any changes early can reduce your risk of developing cervical cancer.
- * Finding abnormal changes early means they can be monitored or treated so they do not get a chance to turn into cervical cancer.
- * Cervical cancer kills two women every day. Regular screenings can help reduce that number, which is why it’s so important you attend your screening when invited.
- * All women and people with a cervix aged 25 to 64 should be invited by letter.
- * You’ll get your results by letter, usually in about 2 weeks.
Our nurses are trained to do all they can to put you at ease during your appointment and are on hand to answer any questions or concerns you may have. However, whether you attend your screening or not, is ultimately your choice.
If you are due to have a cervical screening, you will receive an invite letter in the post. Please do not ignore it, book your cervical screening appointment with us today.
If you have missed your previous appointment or are unsure if you are due cervical screening, please contact us and we will be able to tell you if or when you are due.
Cervical screening: leaflet for women considering screening:
Languages included are: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Gujarati, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Urdu.
Resources for patients with Learning Disabilities
The PHE easy guide to cervical screening explains cervical screening to help individuals with learning disabilities decide if they want to attend.